We’re excited to eat waffles today at Kathey Jo’s Kitchen! Waffle Iron Day celebrates a great kitchen gadget that help you make a tasty meal that you can enjoy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A waffle iron is powered by electricity to heat two metal plates that take the goopy batter you made earlier to create light, fluffy waffles with built-in syrup catchers. You can top them with your favorite fruits too. Waffles were discovered in the 1300s in Greece. They cooked flat cakes between two metal pans, topping them with cheeses and herbs, since pancake syrup wasn’t invented yet. What kind of toppings do you like on your waffles? Let your friends at Kathey Jo’s Kitchen know!
The Best Belgian Waffles
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Oil the waffle maker.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In separate bowl, separate egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg yolks, milk, oil, and vanilla, stir slightly.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Cook in waffle iron on medium-high heat for around 5-10 minutes.
Oat and Whole-Wheat Waffles with Mango Sauce
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour (not self-rising)
- 3 tablespoons instant nonfat dry milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 large whole egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 ¼ cups nonfat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Mango sauce
- 1 ½ pints assorted fresh fruit, such as raspberries, blueberries, boysenberries, and peaches
- Preheat a waffle iron. Place oats in the bowl of a food processor, and process until coarsely ground, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a medium bowl, and whisk in whole-wheat flour, cake flour, dry milk, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg whites, and buttermilk. Pour into the dry ingredients, add melted butter, and whisk together until thoroughly combined.
- pray waffle iron with cooking spray. Quickly pour about 1 ½ cups batter onto center of grid. Use a rubber spatula to spread the batter evenly out to the edges. Bake waffles until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a warm oven. Repeat until all batter is used.
- Cut waffles into squares; serve two per person topped with mango sauce and fruit.