Welcome back to Kathey Jo’s Kitchen. Let’s talk about home cooking. Celebrities really aren’t that different from you and me. They crave a good, home-cooked meal like Mom used to make. Who can blame them? They’re in the business of looking good in front of a camera all day. Sometimes, they’re able to have over the top “cheat days.”
That’s what makes them human to me. They sit back and enjoy the same foods we do. Let’s discuss a hearty meal that includes an appetizer, main dish, and dessert that go well together. Let me and the rest of the Kathey Jo’s Kitchen community know what your favorite home cooked meal is in the comments.
A Side and a Main
Macaroni and cheese is one of the most versatile dishes that anyone from 8 to 80 can make. John Legend’s Mac and Cheese is the perfect Southern comfort food, with a creamy consistency that’ll have you eating the whole dish in one sitting.
But, you should save room for the White House Dinner, which is hearty bison steak in a Madeira wine sauce. Prep time is less than an hour, and it’s a great shake up to your dinner menu standbys. Once you’ve tried it, it’ll be the highlight of your upscale dinner party, because your guests will be impressed when they find out they’re dining just like the President.
And for Dessert: Katharine Hepburn’s Brownies
- Half cup cocoa
- Half cup butter, or 1 whole stick
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- Quarter cup of flour
- 1 cup chopped or broken walnuts or pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Melt butter with cocoa, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a large bowl. Whisk eggs in one at a time. Stir in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, nuts, salt, and sugar, and then add to the cocoa-butter mixture. Stir until combined.
- Pour into an 8 x 8-inch-square greased pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Brownies should be gooey. Let cool, then cut into bars.