My name is Kathey Raskin, and today I’d like to invite you to my Las Vegas kitchen to sample one of my favorite recipes: pecan pie. Pecans contain more antioxidants than any other nut, and they can help reduce the risk of heart disease as well as lower cholesterol levels. They contain more than 19 vitamins and minerals, and they’re a natural, high-quality source of protein and naturally sodium free. Isn’t that a wonderful reason to start incorporating pecans into your daily snacks? I hope the recipes I share with you today become staples in your weekly menus. Let the rest of Kathey Jo’s Kitchen know your favorite way to enjoy pecans in the comments.
Pecan-Crusted Chicken Waffle Sandwiches
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup plus 1/3 cup maple syrup, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 8 frozen waffles, toasted
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and 1/2 cup syrup. In another shallow bowl, combine the pecans, bread crumbs, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then coat with pecan mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil in batches for 5-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Meanwhile, combine the mustard, vinegar and remaining syrup, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon sauce mixture over each of four waffles; top with chicken and drizzle with remaining sauce mixture. Top with remaining waffles.
Sugar Coated Pecans
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-pound pecan halves
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Grease one baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, whip together the egg white and water until frothy. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add pecans to egg whites, stir to coat the nuts evenly. Remove the nuts, and toss them in the sugar mixture until coated. Spread the nuts out on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.